Thursday, June 23, 2011

Tofu Fish Sticks

Last night, I was inspired by reading The Giant Book of Tofu (which I bought on my first ever trip to Salt Spring Island!) and recalling all of the recipes in there that I had yet to try. I came across a recipe for tofu "fish" sticks. Normally I would scoff at this overt replacement of a "meat", but I just couldn't must up the brain power or enthusiasm to conceive of any other tofu dish to accompany my romano bean salad. Thank goodness for first instinct/laziness/fates/whatever! This was one of the best new tofu recipes I've had in a long while - very flavorful with a crunchy panko exterior. Even better was the fact that the crunchiness was obtained by baking as opposed to frying, which is the usual route of tofu crispy achievement! Even meat eater wife was keen on them, so it must be worth writing about....

"Fish" Sticks
16 oz firm or extra firm tofu, drained
1/3 c. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs soy or tamari sauce
1/3 c. flour
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp cajun spice mix
1/2-1 tsp salt (if your cajun spice mix has salt in it, only use 1/2 tsp)
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 c. panko
1 tsp veggie oil (or olive oil)

1. Slice the tofu into wedges about 1/4-1/2" thick.
2. Whisk vinegar and soy in a bowl. Add the tofu and marinate for at least 1 hr, turning a couple of times if possible (I let mine marinate for about 8 hrs).
3. Beat the eggs and salt together in a bowl, set aside.
4. Mix the flour, oregano, thyme, basil, and cajun spice mix together on a plate.
5. Place the panko on a plate (not at all once).
6. Remove the from the marinade and dip each piece in the flour, the egg, and then the panko.
7. Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake for 20 min at 350 degrees F.

And if you're looking for a nice B.C. microbrewery summer beer to go along with your fish sticks and salad, I would recommend Whistler Brewing Company's Powder Mountain Ale. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment