Monday, June 20, 2011

Out of Town

I was away all weekend at a Jesuit retreat centre in Guelph, ON. I learned an incredible amount of information with a fabulous group of people and felt so enriched and mentally stimulated by it all. The setting itself was a wonderful respite to the mental exercises - fields of orchards and vegetable gardens, reclaimed land, labyrinths and spirals. I spent most of the time barefoot, both indoors and outdoors which was a treat. And I saw a muskrat! I thought I caught a glimpse of some kind of cat or dog scurrying through the underbrush and followed it, only to realize as it turned around to face me with its reddish brown fur and gopher-ish face, that it was neither cat nor dog! During another walk, I caught sight of two mule deer bounding slowly towards me in the morning mist, only to have the bucolic scene spoiled by a small grey and white cat that exploded out of the grass, trying to take out the deer :)

The food was also amazing, much of it from their own gardens, but there was one salad in particular that was so incredible and unusual (for me) that I had to ask for the recipe, which was graciously shared.

Cucumber-Watermelon Salad
Cucumber sliced into 1/4 moons, about 1/4 to 1/2" thick
Watermelon sliced into chunks
1/3 c. lavender infused rice vinegar (see notes below)
1 c. canola oil
Salt and pepper
1 tsp dijon mustard

For the rice vinegar, take about 8 parts vinegar to 1 part lavender flower and let sit for 1 week. Remove flowers and use vinegar.
Whisk vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, and mustard together. Pour over cucumber and watermelon. Chill and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment