Monday, June 13, 2011

Not food related

I admit June has been a hard month for me to be diligent about posting. Times have been busy and the food hasn't been as spectacular as I usually like it to be. So instead I thought I would share about other not food things that I have recently enjoyed like....

ROLLER DERBY! Who knew this underworld sport of retro/80s/alternativeness was so amazing and understandably on the rise? (I'm not joking - in the States, they are reaching crowd sizes of 3,000-6,000!)  From the atmosphere (music/clothing/crowd) to the women competing with their crazy nicknames (E. Rolla Virus, Smash'em Moiselle, Misty Miyagi), outfits (think lots of fish net stockings), and aggression on the track, it's completely entertaining! We even had a half time performance of Thriller! And, I've decided this is the one sport where it appears to be completely acceptable to choose which team to cheer for based on the colors/outfits that you like the most; what could be better?! I'm cheering hard for the Bad Reputations, but I'll let out a holler for any jammer who successfully darts through the pack while avoiding those vicious shoulder and hip checks.

LETTER WRITING! Although perceived by many as an archaic and dying art, especially with the rising postal rates and ease of email, it remains one of my favorite means of communication with particular close friends. There is something so focused and intentional about writing a message out by hand that is lost in the quick type and delete of email. Plus it's an excuse for me to be creative and thrifty by remaking/sending out all those postcards I've accumulated over the years. In this case though, I wanted to share the envelope I recently made since I didn't have one that fit the postcards I was using to write my letter on. And it was a fantastic use of an old calendar picture! So easy to make (seriously, under 2 minutes) - you must try it yourself!


BACKYARDS! Wife and I have developed a new tradition on sunny, Sunday afternoons: lawn chairs, books, a cold drink, and cat on a leash. I really have to get a picture of this soon. Molly, our cat, wearing a little blue harness and leash, which is either tied to a chair leg or secured around one of our feet, lying flat in the grass, ears and nose twitching wildly as she is overstimulated by all the outdoor sights and sounds. A piece of grass! EXCITEMENT! A bumblebee!! OMG! Another piece of grass! Roll over in bliss! To the point where when we brought her inside after 2 hours, she plaintively ran around the house mewing and staring pointedly out the window so that we were forced to take her outside again for more grass time.

Okay that's all for now, until I manage a post on the slacker recipes I've been playing with lately - popsicles, sorbet, and iced tea.

1 comment:

  1. oo, i have lovely calendars that the art teacher in me has not been able to part with, but I think making envelopes or even postcards is the perfect way to send them on! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete