Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Quick Bran Bread

Being that I was short on both time and bread this week, I opted try a new quick bran bread recipe instead of my usual no-knead bread. Unfortunately, once I started the recipe I realized I didn't have nearly the quantity of bran flakes called for, but I did have rice bran and buckwheat flour on hand. So I did what any irresponsible and impulsive baker would do - substitute with abandon! Amazingly my crazy substitutions worked like a charm in this recipe.The bread emerged with a dense, moist interior and a delicately crunchy exterior. Totally delectable with butter and jam, butter and honey, and any kind of fresh cheese.

Whole-Wheat Bran Bread
2 c. whole wheat flour
2 c. wheat bran flakes (my combo was ~1 1/4 c. rice bran + ~1/4 c. wheat bran flakes + ~1/2 c. buckwheat flour --- my  basic thought was that if I was using something denser than flakes, the total volume should be a bit less than 2 c. so that the bread wouldn't turn out too dry)
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/3 c. milk
1 egg, room temperature 
2 Tbs molasses
2 Tbs melted butter
1 c. nuts (I substituted 1/4 c. sesame seeds and 1/4 c. ground flax)

Stir dry ingredients together. Beat wet ingredients together. Mix wet with dry just until moistened. Place batter in a greased 9x5" loaf pan and let sit for 15 minutes. Then bake at 375 degrees F for 50-60 min. Let cool 5-10 minutes and remove from pan onto cooling rack.

Photo to come if I can manage to stop eating the bread long enough to take one...

No comments:

Post a Comment