Saturday, May 21, 2011

Yogurt Cake with Marmalade

Frugal tip # 1: There is no such thing as bad dairy when it comes to baking! My best scones have been made with soured milk or cream. I suppose health-wise there is probably some kind of rule about how long it should be baked ... but I go with the policy, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger! No seriously, I have yet to ever make myself ill in my frugal use of bad dairy.

With suspiciously textured yogurt sitting in my fridge, not to mention some very "fragrant" devonshire cream, I decided it was the perfect time to bake a yogurt cake. And yes, I know "baked good" was supposed to excised from my cooking vocabulary, but can I help it if it's my true love?


I used this recipe from Epicurious, albeit adding slightly more flour (1 2/3 c.), and decreasing the oil to 1/3 c, as well as my haphazard yogurt substitutions. Also, I whisked the oil in with all of the other wet ingredients (and sugar), and then folded the wet mixture into the dry mixture. No need to separate those steps. The batter was still a bit lumpy when I poured it into the pan. It took my cake ~ 60-65 min to be done enough for a cake tester to come out cleanly from the centre, and I had to put foil on top to stop the edges from browning for the last 15 minutes. I did not use a glaze, but just spread marmalade on the slices that were served since my marmalade was homemade and already runny enough to be like a glaze. If you're using store-bought then you probably do want to thin it out a bit. The cake turned out marvelously! Perfectly moist inside, could possibly have used a bit more lemon zest in the recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment