Friday, May 20, 2011

Kefir - The Experiment, Part 2

Okay, so correction to the last kefir post. I don't think you can actually make cheese just out of kefir the liquid. (Although I haven't tried heating it and pouring an acid in, which may have the same effect). It's actually about letting the batch ferment long enough. This time, with a new batch of kefir, I used about 1 c. of whole, organic milk poured in with the grains and I let it ferment on the counter for 48 hours.


And what did I get? Curds and whey!!!


Admittedly once I fished the grains out of the curds, I had about half as much curds as I thought I did, but after straining, a respectable sized ball of kefir cheese remained. I found the cheese smooth, soft, and refreshingly tangy. You could add some salt or other herbs, but I enjoyed it as it was, paired with a bit of blackberry jam on toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment