Friday, May 06, 2011

Asian Salmon Cakes


In addition to the wide selection of UGO's that I inherited from my last friend who moved, there was also a can of salmon, which has lingered on our shelf for the last 9 months. Today I resolved to clear it off the shelf by making some asian influenced salmon cakes. Little did I know what awaited me by opening the can... apparently I have only dealt with canned tuna up until now. Salmon in a can is so frightening! Full of bones and skin that is supposed all soft and chewy ...  umm no. So after picking out about half of the contents of the can and deeming them suitably satisfactory to be consumed, I whipped up some fast & easy salmon cakes! The cat was very happy to help out with the other half of the can.

Asian Salmon Cakes  
1- 213g - can of salmon (or fresh if you're lucky)
1 green onion finely chopped (white and green bits)
1/2 tsp minced ginger
1/4-1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp salt (?)
1/4-1/2 c. panko (or breadcrumbs)
1 egg, beaten well
sesame oil (or canola oil)
flour
sweet chili sauce

Stir salmon, green onion, ginger, garlic and salt together. Mix in egg and panko. I added panko until it was a consistency that I could shape into a burger, then pat the outsides with a bit of flour to help get a crispy edge. Form 3 salmon cakes. Heat oil in a skillet on medium heat. Place salmon cakes in the skillet and cook until browned/crispy on one side, flip, and repeat. Serve with sweet chili sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment