Saturday, May 07, 2011

S'mores Brownies

Okay so I actually didn't think this recipe could possibly be good when I read it on joythebaker's blog, it was more of a (1) it's date night and I really want some chocolate and (2) it's so bizarre sounding I have to try it out just so I know.



My advance comments: following the recipe as given means the graham crackers become mushy, thus losing the nostalgic crunch of graham cracker contrasting with the gooeyness of marshmallow and melted chocolate. I would try a new version where I either baked a graham cracker crumb crust underneath as a base (like a cheesecake), or make a graham cracker crumb/butter topping (like a crumble) that would get crispy.

However, if one wants to put marshmallows on top, I'm not sure how you combine that with the graham cracker crumb idea. I feel the marshmallows stirred into the batter were better because they dissolved creating pockets of moistness, while the marshmallows on top, although aesthetically pleasing when freshly baked are plastic-y the following day.

Lastly, since I was short an egg, I made the recipe with 4 eggs. With 1 egg less (or possibly since I didn't pack the brown sugar), the cooking time seemed far too long and the brownies had a more cake-like texture than fudgy. So if you use 1 less egg (because that's all you happen to have), cook for 20 min and test doneness. Maybe adding some chocolate chips into the batter itself would also more closely recreate the s'mores concept...  as it is, the recipe was surprisingly not that sweet.

S'mores Brownies
1 1/2 c. flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 c. salted butter  (alternately you could do the more professional baker thing and use 1 c. unsalted plus 1 tsp salt)
6 oz unsweetened chocolate chopped (I used 5 oz unsweetened, 1 oz semi-sweet)
1 1/4 c. brown sugar (I did not pack the brown sugar)
1 c. granulated sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 c. graham crackers, roughly broken up by hand
12-18 large marshmallows (4-6 diced up - e.g. quartered or eighth-ed, and the rest to go on top)


Preheat oven to 350o F. Beat sugar, eggs, and vanilla together. Melt butter and chocolate together, either overt he stove, or the lazy method, in a glass bowl in the microwave. If you use the microwave method, make sure the chocolate is chopped to similar sizes and butter is chopped too. Microwave for 40-45 seconds at a time, stirring in between and let sit for a bit. If it's very hot when you're done, let cool before stirring into the egg mixture. Once the chocolate mixture has been added to the eggs/sugar, stir in the dry ingredients. Then fold in the graham crackers and marshmallows. Pour into greased 9x13 pan and bake for 20-30min. If you're putting marshmallows on top of the batter, wait until about 5 min from the end of baking time to add them to the top of the brownies.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment