Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Rugelach Time

Well once again I was forced to bake something (haha) that was horribly rich and fattening, just to use up some old goat cheese. Life is tough sometimes. So if you find yourself with very fragrant goat cheese, or cream cheese, I recommend incorporating it into a rugelach dough. The nice thing about the dough is you can make it and leave it in your fridge for 2-3 days before finishing off the process of filling and baking them. Traditional fillings include a poppy seed sugar mixture, raisins/walnuts/cinnamon/sugar, jams, etc. The flavors of fillings I used for my rugelach were amazing, but I still have to learn how to create a filling that doesn't ooze everywhere when baking. For my first batch, I used apricot jam and chopped walnuts (note it is very important to press any kind of nut filling into the dough with your rolling pin before attempting to roll the rugelach up!) These were wife's favorites. Only before she banned me from any more baking because she wasn't able to resist eating platefuls of rugelach and feeling slightly ill afterwards :) For my second batch, I attempted to follow a recipe for poppy seed filling but completely botched the instructions so just ended up making my own version. Heated up poppy seeds, water, honey, and a bit of sugar-- simmering until thickened and then stirred in some chopped semi-sweet chocolate and cocoa powder (to get the right sweetness levels) until melted. Worked for me!
 
  
Apricot-walnut filling pressed into dough, before rolling

Chocolate-poppy seed rugelach before baking

Baked apricot walnut rugelach!

No comments:

Post a Comment