Monday, September 19, 2011

"Meat" Balls in BBQ Sauce

My mother gave me 5 jars of homemade ketchup - ketchup that I sadly did not care for at all. It was simultaneously too vinegary and sweet. Bestirring myself to use my superpowers of frugality (because after all the ketchup came from my mom's tomatoes), it occurred to me that this ketchup might well be coaxed into a lovely BBQ sauce, a sauce that would go perfectly with roasted faux meatballs in the oven! And lo and behold upon adding some molasses, maple syrup, instant coffee, cocoa powder, and Tabasco sauce, it worked! In fact, the meatballs in BBQ sauce have been used all week long as delicious sandwich filling! Unfortunately I did not measure any of my sauce making and since you will probably never have bad homemade ketchup (or alternately a bad homemade ketchup that no one else can replicate), there is no point in including a sauce recipe. The meatball recipe is below, but I will say as a warning that I didn't particularly love the flavor of these meatballs on their own. They really needed the BBQ sauce to become stellar...

Vegan Meatballs
1 c. cooked green lentils
2 c. cooked brown rice (I would use white rice if I made this again - brown rice can be unpleasantly crunchy at times)
1/2 c. whole oats
2/3 c. wheat germ
2 Tbs soy sauce
4 Tbs olive oil
4 tsp lemon juice
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 block firm tofu, crumbled
1/2 c - 1 c. bread crumbs or panko
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. (Note: you have two options: you can roast the meatballs separately first to get them crunchy and then pour BBQ sauce over them for serving. Or you can be lazy and roast the meatballs and sauce together for 40 minutes. The second way does not result in any crispy exterior of the meatballs.)
2. Combine all the ingredients EXCEPT the bread crumbs or panko in the food processor. Pulse into the mixture resembles the texture of ground meat, but do not overmix.
3. Remove from processor and stir in bread crumbs as needed, but the mixture should not get overly dry.
4. With damp hands, form mixture into 1" balls. You should get around 40 ish?
5. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes.
(I did a couple test meatballs to make sure I didn't need more bread crumbs or different spices before baking them all at once). You can also freeze them once you've shaped them into balls and then transfer them to ziplock bags for storage.

No comments:

Post a Comment