Saturday, April 09, 2011

Sunny-Side Up

So tonight's dinner was a quickie experiment of a Bon Appetit recipe for fried eggs & greens. I followed the recipe, more or less, and am posting the modified version with changes I would make the next time that I prepare it. Overall though, I was pleased with the flavours, textures, and surprising lightness of the meal. Relatively quick, but a bit pan-intensive

What a professional food shot of this dish looks like...


Sunny-Side Up Eggs on Mustardy Greens
(2 servings)

1/2 c. coarse fresh bread crumbs (I took a piece of slightly stale bread and chopped it into squares, a 1cm side square was a bit too large).
4 -5 tsp Dijon whole grain mustard
3 tsp olive oil
9 oz total of fresh kale (stems removed) and/or spinach
3 Tbs whipping cream (or half and half)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
black pepper
2 large eggs
Parmesan (optional)

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Toss bread crumbs with 2 tsp olive oil and some thyme. Spread on baking sheet and bake for 6-8 min until golden and crisp. Set aside to cool.
  2. In a deep skillet, cook the kale over med heat with ~ 2 cm of water in the pan. When it's almost cooked, add the spinach in and cook until wilted. 
  3. Strain cooked kale and spinach, pressing out any extra water. Then put back in skillet and add 4 tsp mustard, cream, and thyme. (This is supposed to thicken, but it never did for me). I also think a little butter might be a great addition at this point. Add freshly cracked black pepper and remove from heat. (To save yourself a pan, you could scoop the mixture out onto the 2 plates and put it in the oven to keep warm. Reuse the pan for the eggs).
  4. Fry up the eggs in 1 tsp olive oil. Split the spinach/kale mixture between plates, top with eggs, bread crumbs, and parmesan.
I also think this recipe would be good with the addition of bacon or pancetta. I went with veggie sausage myself!

What my food shot looks like...


LEFTOVERS.
I had leftover spinach/kale mixture and bread crumbs so I packed it all in my tupperware for lunch along with a hard-boiled egg. I actually enjoyed it more the second day! Maybe the flavors had more time to meld  perfectly with the greens, but reheating it with bread crumbs and parmesan on top and adding a hard-boiled egg was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment