Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Green Lentil/Wild Rice Burritos

Another one of my downfalls in the kitchen has been my crock pot. In theory, the crock pot is easy to work with and a wonderful time saver. My own experience has been more along the lines of undercooked rice/grains or the other extreme of a burned layer of crock pot contents. But I believe that people love crock pots for a reason so I decided to give the it another chance. A dear friend sent me a link to this recipe, which I modified to suit my vegetarian nature and the ingredients already on hand :) 


Green Lentil/Wild Rice Burritos (makes enough to feed a large group, or 2 for more than a week!) 
1 1/2 c. green lentils
1 c. wild rice
2 c. water
3. vegetable stock
1 - 1 1/2 c. diced onion
1 - 1 1/2 c. diced carrots
1 c. chopped bell pepper
1 c. diced tomatoes
6 cloves minced garlic
1 c. tomato juice or sauce (not italian flavored)
2 Tbs ground cumin
1-2 Tbs mexican chili powder (or taco seasoning)
1 Tbs oregano
3-4 bay leaves
1 dried ancho chili (can use 2, or of another chili variety like chipotle, guajillo, etc.)
salt and pepper to taste
Flour or corn tortillas

(1) Rinse the lentils and rice, let soak overnight in the crockpot (off) with the 2 c. water.
(2) The next day, pour out most of the water. Add in the veggie stock, vegetables and spices. Turn on low for 8 hours.
(3) Remove the guajillo chili and season with salt and pepper to taste. (or adjust other seasonings)
(4) Roll up in tortillas with lime juice, cilantro, grated cheddar cheese, sour cream, and/or salsa!

No comments:

Post a Comment