Friday, August 12, 2011

Oatmeal Soda Crackers

I adore Rain Coast crisps. Every time I attend a social function where these crackers are present, I make a beeline for the plate containing them and devotedly, faithfully, do not leave its side until I've had my fill. Thin, delicate, simultaneously crunchy and chewy, full of nuts, dried fruit and herbs, there really is no comparable cracker on the market. But the price always gives me sticker shock when I see it and I can't convince myself to shell out the money for it....

On a whim, I picked up a recent edition of the BC Liquor Stores Taste Magazine and saw a recipe for oatmeal soda crackers that looked fairly similar to Rain Coast crisps so I decided to try it out on the off-chance that they might be a homemade and cheaper replacement for my luxury crackers.

Not only was making them fairly easy, but they froze incredibly well. In fact, when defrosted, I couldn't even tell that they had been frozen!  Everyone who tried the crackers loved them!

Oatmeal Soda Crackers
1/4 c. unsalted butter
3 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. rolled oats (not instant)
2 Tbs fresh rosemary, chopped  [I used dried]
1 Tbs brown sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 c. walnuts, chopped
1 3/4 c. buttermilk
1 egg white, whisked

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Melt butter in a small saucepan (or microwave).
3. Combine all dry ingredients and walnuts in a large bowl, stirring to blend.
4. Beat melted butter into buttermilk, then pour wet ingredients into dry dry ingredients. Stir until moistened.
5. Knead dough gently on a floured surface until it just comes together.
6. Divide dough into four logs about 7 x 2 inches and place on parchment lined baking sheet, leaving about 2" between each log. 
7. Brush with egg white and bake for about 40 minutes until golden-brown.
8. Let cool. Once the loaves are cooled, make thin slices (1/8-1/4 " thick) using a serrated knife (my cheese knife was actually the best tool for this job) and place in a single layer back on the parchment lined baking sheet.
9. Bake crackers at 350 degrees F about 15-18 minutes until golden and crisp.
10. Store in an air-tight container once cooled, or freeze until you're ready to eat them.

No comments:

Post a Comment