Friday, August 19, 2011

Crazy Dip

This post may not be of any use to those of you who rely on carefully measured quantities of ingredients (just to clarify: I normally fall into this category as well, so this is not a finger-pointing of any kind). The week has been exhausting to say the least - as a passholder to the queer film festival, I am completely serious about seeing as many films as I possibly can (that I am interested in). This leads to a 10 day period where I usually see 2-3 films after work every single night and don't get home before midnight. Despite this hectic schedule, in my ever- frugal nature, I am still attempting to pack a lunch rather than buy something. Of course since I'm not home between the hours of 4:30pm-11:30pm, there has been no cooking. I haven't even squeezed cooking into my before work time, which this week has looked like roll out of bed, shower, blearily make two cups of coffee, gulp them down along with a bowl of yogurt and nectarines, and cycle off to work, where I am operating anywhere between 50-80% full capacity.

So at 11:45 pm on Wednesday night I stared into the depths of my refridgerator trying to come up with some kind of protein item that would make a meal with crackers. This is a difficult task. Especially when you see some about to be dried-out shelling peas, some leftover kale that had been sauteed 4 days before, and kefir cheese. This is how crazy dip came about - when in doubt chuck things in the food processor and whirl and come out with some combo between an artichoke cheese dip and a spinach dip that's even more amazing (and I believe quite a bit healthier!) So if you're feeling crazy (and more than a bit brave), here you go:

Crazy Dip
1-2 cloves garlic
1/2 - 1 c. walnuts
Shelling peas (not the shells) -- maybe 1/4 c. but you could do more!
Sauteed kale (1 cup ? 2 cups? who knows?)
Kefir cheese (in the thickened yogurt state - you could probably also use yogurt, or sour cream, etc.)
Parmesan cheese (no idea but I'm going to guess 1/4 cup, add to taste)
Juice of 1/2 or whole lemon
Thyme
Salt/pepper 

1. Pulse garlic and walnuts until finely ground in food processor.
2. Add in everything else and whirl some more.
3. Taste, adjust.
4. Serve with sourdough bread, crackers, veggies, you name it!

Photo, photo, always there needs to be a photo...

No comments:

Post a Comment