Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Cornmeal currant loaf

Part of the excitement of going away for the weekend to Tofino/Uclulet with family is planning what to eat! Of course my mind immediately goes to breakfast/dessert mode. Unfortunately I've already had too many desserts this week (blame my wife for insisting that I must experience the rice krispie square made with melted mars bars in place of marshmallows....), so I am attempting to focus my recipe ADD on breakfast.  I have already made up a batch of chai-ginger scones, but who doesn't appreciate options?

I saw this recipe from JoytheBaker's blog for a honey cranberry cornmeal quick bread which I've been wanting to test because, other than chocolate, cornmeal is my favorite ingredient ever. It leads to so many delectable items like cornbread, grits, cornmeal pancakes, hush puppies, cornmeal coated fried okra, etc.  I modified the recipe - adding 2 tsp lemon zest, swapping currants for cranberries and cutting the honey in half. Baked one large loaf for 60 minutes and it turned out perfectly! The lemon zest provides a great highlight note, and I wouldn't have wanted the bread any sweeter. I think next time I will try leaving out the vanilla extract.

Not related at all, but do you ever have those moments where a word pops into your head and you know how to spell it, love the sound of it, but have no idea what it actually means? Yesterday, that word was "hirsute". Defn: Shaggy, hairy, bristly. Now if I can just figure out how to work it into a conversation...

No comments:

Post a Comment