Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Hiking Snacks!

Although the rainy season has set in and the mountains are dusted with snow at the tops, I'm still trying to get outside for a couple of last hiking flings. The last "fling" was like being stood up for a date? (I'm not sure as that's never happened to me personally). After much research identifying an appropriate trail of suitable length for a rainy day hike, we arrived only to find that the trail was closed for area conservation!  Fortunately it was a large marsh area so there was another stretch of dyke to walk along that was not closed so we trudged along in rain gear and umbrellas enjoying the outdoors, but enjoying even more the return to the city for americanos and doughnuts :) I cannot say enough about Lucky's doughnuts inside 49th parallel at main and 13th. Spectacular! 5 stars for every doughnut I've tried there, except the salted caramel.
Yes, you can hike with umbrellas

A little Austen or Bronte to lighten the mood?

Just beautiful landscape...

But back to the healthy hiking snacks! Here are two I've made within the last week:
(1) chewy no-bake granola bars - excellent taste - a bit salty for me, perfect for wife as the recipe goes. BUT, they only stay as a solid bar while they are cold (in the fridge or freezer) due to the coconut oil so honestly they seem quite impractical as a hiking snack. I would keep them around for house snacks or winter snowshoeing, but not for summer trails.

Things I changed in the recipe: (1) substituted 3/4 c. dried cranberries for the dried cherries - personal preference (2) replaced pecans with walnuts - what was on hand (3) did not use vanilla or almond extract - not convinced I want to taste vanilla extract in my granola bars - I want to taste the nuts, oats and cinnamon! (4) IF I made it again, and used fine grain salt, I would reduce to 1/4 tsp.

(2) happy trail adventure cookies - a much more practical hiking snack that stays together at room temperature. Mine did not look anything like the original photograph, so I'm wondering if she actually flattened her cookie dough balls before baking. I did not and as you can see from the photo, they don't "melt" much on their own during baking.  They are a touch on the sweet side for me, but pretty close to perfect so I wouldn't fiddle too much with the recipe.

Things I changed in the recipe: (1) substituted walnuts for pecans - again what I had on hand (2) subbed honey for brown rice syrup  and (3) included the 1/3 c. sweetened cranberries. Actually if I bake these again (which I will), I would include 1/4 c. CHOPPED dried cranberries in addition to the 3 Tbs salted roasted pumpkin seeds.


Don't you love my fancy little fade out border around the edges??


No comments:

Post a Comment