Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Peach Muffins

Do you find yourself with leftover juice from canned pears, peaches, etc and wonder if there is any use for it? Good news for you! It can be used in place of apple juice in muffin recipes. I don't remember why I bought a can of peaches as I am normally adverse to any store-bought canned fruit and its syrupy water, but I did and I finished all the peaches while the syrup sat in my fridge. This is one of those times of the year where I simply cannot afford to have spare things sitting in my fridge. So I pulled up this recipe for apple muffins and modified away! It was the perfect muffin consistency, not too sweet, and subtly peachy.

Peach Muffins

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour 
  • 1/4 c. wheat bran or wheat germ
  • 1/4 - 1/3 cup white sugar (I used 1/4 c. and it could have been just a touch sweeter)
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup peach syrup
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
  • possible some ground ginger?
  • 1 cup fresh chopped peach or nectarine (or leave out and substitute 1/2 c. chopped walnuts)
  1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease muffin tin or line with baking cups.
  2. Whisk flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices together. In a small bowl, whisk peach juice, oil, and egg. Add wet ingredients to dry; stir until dry ingredients are almost moistened, then stir in chopped fruit or walnuts.
  3. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full (I used a 1/4 c. filled to the top for each muffin cup and it worked perfectly) Bake for ~20 minutes. Let cool for 1- 2minutes before removing muffins from pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment