Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Poor blog, your owner doesn't love you enough.

I'm still getting over cold so I haven't had the energy to really blog about what I've made, but I will in quick summary include a list of noteworthy recipes made in the past week or so. I

#1) Sweet potato hummus. I'm a complete convert to this version of hummus made primarily with sweet potatoes, a bit of chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon and spiced with paprika, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne and nutmeg. Note if you have a cold, do not season this hummus alone- you will make it far too spicy for those whose taste buds are not deadened by a stuffy nose...
#2) A vegetarian southern soup of chipotle veggie sausage, kale and collard greens, topped with cornmeal/green onion dumplings OMG from Bon Appetit. Completely worth repeating again and again. Probably even with real meat :)
#3) April's wot bread. This recipe appears in ExtraVeganza. It's a really interesting way to use up leftover brown rice. I quite like the texture of the loaf but it's very dense and doesn't rise at all.
#4) David Lebovitz' brown bread. Must have been trying to use up some buttermilk. Once again, I ended up with bread undercooked in the middle, though I am sure this is no shortcoming of the recipe and rather due to my own oven/timing skills. It would be great though if the cake batter tester would work for once and come out clean because the baked good is actually COOKED THROUGH as opposed to simply coming out clean because the top inch of baked dough manages to scrape off all the uncooked dough on the way out?
#5) Oatmeal applesauce bread. Super pleased with this recipe as it is not very sweet and uses up quite a lot of applesauce and oats. I left out the raisins. Again, issue of uncooked center (my fault not the recipe).
#6) Kale stem pesto - finally a way to use up all those tough chewy stems!

No comments:

Post a Comment