Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Apricot Ginger Muffins

I baked these muffins to dispose of the last the dried apricots in the refrigerator (no one ever believes me that my primary catalyst for baking is "using things up"
 not "I want to make something yummy"... I swear it's true though) and I glanced upon this recipe in Deborah Madison's cookbook, Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. I liked the idea of the spiciness of the candied ginger balancing out the sweetness of the apricot. In theory, great, in reality - I got a bit more spiciness than I bargained for! So beware if you make this recipe, it is not for the ginger-faint of heart. I did happily discover that a liberal smear of creme fraiche provided a cooling and deliciously creamy counterfoil to the ginger. I can only imagine how decadent a cardamom creme fraiche would be with this muffin....

Ginger Apricot Buttermilk Muffins (makes 12 regular size muffins)

2 1/2 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c. packed light brown sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/3 c. buttermilk
1/3 c. canola oil  (I substituted applesauce, which I believe resulted in a chewier muffin texture, but was healthier)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c. diced dried apricots
1 tsp ground ginger (a little cinnamon or cardamom would also be nice)
1/3 c. diced candied ginger (original recipe calls for 1/2 c.)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease muffin tin.
2. Cover the diced apricots with boiling water and let stand for 10 minutes, until soft. Drain and add ground ginger (optionally cinnamon/cardamom) and candied ginger.
3. Mix the dry ingredients together in one large bowl and the wet ingredients in another bowl (beat the sugar into the eggs first, then add buttermilk, canola oil and extract).
4. Pour the wet into the dry and in a few quick stirs, combine the two, adding in the apricot/ginger mixture just at the end. *stir as little as possible as long as all flour is mixed in*
5. Scoop into tins, filling nearly to top. Bake about 25 minutes until nicely browned and puffy on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment