Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Kefir Bread

I baked a second loaf of the kefir bread this weekend. I love the golden brown crispy crust that emerges and the moist dense yet sourdough like interior. Plus, I love that I finally have something to use all the leftover whey for!  Usually when I'm making kefir, I let it ferment all the way to curds and strain the cheese out. I have used the whey in a couple of baked goods, but never found a recipe where I could use so much at once. I particularly love that this is a no-fuss no knead bread as well! You simply need to stir flour and kefir whey together and let it ferment/rise for 24-36 hours. Then bake! Voila! You can find the original recipe here.

Dough rising way high up...

Kefir Bread
  • 3 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1 c. bread flour
  • 2 1/2 c. kefir whey (or kefir milk)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp sugar
1. Stir flour, salt and sugar together. Stir whey in. Dough should be wet and sticky.
2. Cover with a towel and let rise for 24-36 hours. (It will form a slight crusty layer on top).
3. Coat a dutch oven (cast iron pot) with a light layer of canola oil. Place it in the oven. Turn the oven on to 350 degrees F. Let the dutch oven heat for 20 minutes.
4. Scoop the dough into the dutch oven. Cover and bake for 50-60 minutes.


Just out of the oven

First slice

No comments:

Post a Comment