Thursday, March 22, 2012

Chilaquiles

Surprisingly, despite my love of Mexican food, I had until recently never eaten nor cooked chilaquiles. Now that I make this statement, I acknowledge my complete ignorance about whether chilaquiles are a Tex-Mex creation or stem from true Mexican culinary history. Google time! According to Wikipedia, if it can be considered a legitimate source, chilaquiles are a traditional Mexican dish and "recipes for chilaquiles have been found in a U.S. cookbook published in 1898." I guess I am one in a long line of fortunate cooks enjoying this recipe!

To summarize my experience of chilaquiles: OMG. Crispy fried corn tortillas simmered ever so briefly in homemade enchilada sauce, served up with black beans and fried eggs, and heavily adorned with avocado, cilantro, and red onion?! What's not to love?  My only regret about this recipe was the fact that I halved it to cook just enough for two! There were no leftovers when my sad, empty plate stared up at me, begging for just one or two more corn tortilla pieces. Do not make the same mistake I did. Make more chilaquiles than you think you'll eat - just in case :)  Also don't make the mistake of pouring leftover hot oil into a dish that has a large crack in it. After you finish dinner, you don't want to find a giant pool of oil dripping off the counter onto the floor. Ergh.

Chilaquiles
  • 12 corn tortillas, cut in quarters
  • 1 1/2 c. enchilada sauce or salsa verde
  • canola oil
  • 1-2 avocados, chopped
  • 1 red onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 - 1 c. cilantro, chopped
  • Cotija, crumbled or sour cream 
  • Sides: Crockpot black beans, fried egg  (I had made the crockpot black beans a couple of weeks before and frozen pint sized jars of them. One pint size jar would be perfect as a side for 4 people.)

1. Heat ~1/4 c. of canola oil in a sauce pan on medium high Add corn tortilla quarters a 4-6 at a time (don't overly crowd the pan). Let fry until golden brown on both sides, turning over once with tongs. Set aside on a paper towel lined plate to cool. Add a pinch of salt.
2. Once all the tortillas are fried, add a bit of oil to the pan again (if needed - only need about 2-3 Tbs in the pan), and add the enchilada sauce. Let simmer for 3-4 minutes until thickened.
3. Add all the tortilla pieces to the pan. Turn the pieces over so they are all coated with sauce and soften slightly. Remove and serve immediately with sides and garnishes.

Photo to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment