Sunday, November 20, 2011

Pumpkin Fail! Pumpkin Granola Bars & Pumpkin Frozen Yogurt

I was so excited about this recipe, really really excited. What could be a better fall snack than a pumpkin chocolate chip granola bar? The photos were so pretty, with the shiny blue ribbon and parchment paper packaging, but honestly, I can't for the life of me figure out how this recipe is getting such high circulation on the internet. In retrospect, my common sense alarm should have gone off in a recipe that asked for 3 1/2 c. rolled oats and only 1 c. of liquid -- how are those oats going to cook? The answer is - they're not. Okay and I confess I didn't follow the recipe perfectly - I took out 1/4 c. of brown sugar and I added an egg, but really I don't think that's the reason why these bars are incredibly incredibly chewy. Not like a chewy granola bar chewy but like chewy as in a cow ruminating on cud chewy. As in the only thing I can do with them is try to crumble them up and pour milk over them and pretend I'm eating an oatmeal/cereal hybrid.

And then there was this recipe: Pumpkin Frozen Yogurt - sounds tasty - like frozen pumpkin cheesecake but healthier right? Lesson: Don't be deceived by photos that like some kind of siren calling lure you in promising untold delights only to crash your cooking ship upon the rocks of a grainy/unscoopable/unpalatable dish. Who knows, maybe with vanilla yogurt as opposed to kefir yogurt, it might work, but I doubt the texture would be that different....

*SIGH* Tomorrow is another day right?

No comments:

Post a Comment