Thursday, November 10, 2011

Another quick bread


I came across this recipe when I was looking for an easy bread to cook in a limited amount of time (i.e. when you don't have the time to let things rise with yeast). Most quick breads I'm familiar with are either tea breads (pumpkin bread, banana bread, etc.), brown breads (think molasses and Boston), or cornbread - but rarely something I would happily use for a sandwich loaf - until now! Not only that, I also found that I could use up kefir yogurt in place of the buttermilk! Two birds, one stone. It was a good day.

Quick Wheat Bread
2 c. bread flour
2 c. whole wheat flour (I have also tried using 1 c. whole wheat & 1 c. spelt)
1 tsp baking powder
1 pinch salt
1 egg
1 3/4 c. buttermilk (I used 1 1/2 c. kefir yogurt + milk and 2 Tbs vinegar up to the total amount - you can use any combo of yogurt+ milk or just buttermilk)
2 Tbs melted butter, slightly cooled
Optional: Sesame seeds and/or sunflower seeds (herbs might be nice too)

1. Sift dry ingredients together
2. Beat egg in a small bowl, then beat in buttermilk and butter.
3. Fold wet into dry ingredients, adding seeds in.
4. Butter and flour an 8 x 4" pan (this is essential to getting a tall loaf!) and pour batter into pan.
5. Bake at 400 degrees F for ~50 minutes. Bread should sound hollow when tapped on the top.
6. Cool on a rack and then store in a ziplock bag for freshness.

2 comments:

  1. I do think using spelt in place of whole-wheat flour and yogurt in place of buttermilk will tend to make the bread a denser texture.. in case that matters...

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, I will totally try this! a quick sandwich bread, that is what has been missing from my life. :) oh, other than sleep. . .
    Miss you a ton today!! Good tea drinking weather.

    ReplyDelete