Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Strawberries Galore Part II

The strawberry bonanza continued with strawberry ice cream, dried strawberries and strawberry fruit leathers! Thanks to my mom who brought up a dehydrator for me to borrow for a month or so to decide whether I would use it enough to merit buying my own, I was able to use some of the strawberries that didn't get frozen to make dried strawberries. Oh the glorious smell - it was almost as good as being out in the strawberry field again! I also used strawberry puree to make a tray of fruit leathers and overall, it was okay, but I think I might try a half and half mixture of applesauce and strawberry puree next time.


But the ice cream we made was mind and mouth-blowing... the strawberry flavor so intense and unpolluted with any other distractions or preservatives that many taste-testers have rejoicingly declared it the most delicious strawberry ice cream they've ever tasted! I started off using this recipe as a base, but modified it according to a couple of previous ice cream making experiences where too much whipping cream in the base left my tongue feeling unpleasantly coated with fat molecules. 

Strawberry Ice Cream
1 c. whole milk
1 c. coffee cream (10%)
1 c. whipping cream
12 egg yolks
2 pinch salt
1 c. sugar

Strawberry Puree:
8 c. strawberries, pureed
1/2 c. sugar
2 Tbs lemon juice

1. Whisk together the milk and creams.
2. Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar. Then whisk the egg mixtures in cream mixture. 3. Heat the egg/cream mixture over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat back of spoon, about 8 minutes.
4. Strain into bowl (if needed) and chill until cold, about 2 hours.  
5. Puree the strawberries with sugar and lemon juice. Once the custard is chilled, stir in the strawberry puree mixture.
6. Place ice cream base in an ice cream mixer and stir until ice cream texture is obtained!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe I had the privilege of tasting this. It was so amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete