Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Party Review #3 - Desserts

 I will now take a moment to gloat just a bit about how darn good every single dessert item was. Admittedly two of them I had to find a second recipe that was actually worthwhile but the search paid off.

#1. Pumpkin seed brittle. If you only make one thing, make pumpkin seed brittle. I'm pretty sure it would keep in a freezer for a good two months. It's a great foodie gift, it's economically viable as it consists basically of sugar, butter, and pumpkin seeds, it looks a bit like stained glass, and its so addictive! Also you should know, if you have a candy thermometer this recipe is pretty darn easy but beware of boiling sugar! It is REALLY hot and if you spill it on yourself - blister burns.....

#2. Orange spice pumpkin cakes. If you had slightly adventurous children, I think these would be delightful at a birthday party. Two-bite sized, golden-hued, and redolent of fall. I did make these in advance and freeze them, but in retrospect, I would only make them the day before or the day of and keep them at room temperature in a sealed container. I think they stay moister that way. I have not tried the glaze, as I found them perfect without. The only questionable instruction is the juice of two oranges - size is not specified. I ended up going with some larger oranges rather than smaller oranges.

#3. Chocolate peppermint cookies. My one piece of sage advice: things have changed since childhood. DO NOT assume that red candy canes are peppermint  - oh no, it's part of a grand conspiracy to trick you into buying revolting cherry flavored candy canes! I loved this recipe and the children seemed drawn to the sparkly crushed candy cane bits on top of dark chocolate cookies.

#4. Walnut jam thumbprint cookies. This recipe was for childhood nostalgia. I can my mom baking these at Christmas time and the way they tasted - buttery walnut crust and sweet tart jam.

Raspberry thumbprint cookie (48 cookies)

1  c. walnuts
1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. butter (salted is fine)
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1 3/4 c. flour
1/4 c. seedless raspberry jam

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In food processor, blend  1 c. toasted walnuts with sugar until finely ground.  Add butter, salt, and vanilla-process till evenly blended.  Add flour and blend until mixed.  Remove knife blade, and press dough together.  
3. Roll dough into 1 " balls using about 2 tsp dough per cookie. To make this easier, you can break the dough in half, then in halves again, then in halves, then in thirds to get right amounts.  Place balls about 1 1/2 " apart on large cookie sheet.  With thumb,make small imprint.  Fill with 1/4 tsp jam.  Bake 20 min.. Cool on wire rack. 


#5. Orange candied ginger cookies - vegan from Extraveganza - I'll post this recipe soon. But very gingery, and quite nice fresh from the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment