Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Six Seed Soda Bread

As we know, I have a tendency to substitute flours in where they don't belong, much to the dismay of my wife and sometimes to my own penitential regret. However, for once I decided to pick a recipe that intentionally used spelt flour instead of haphazardly sneaking it in. I found this beautiful loaf recipe on Heidi's 101cookbooks site and adapted it just a bit to the seeds that I had on hand. The one change I would make next time is not to include the fennel seed (or to only use fennel seed). The fennel can be disturbingly surprising amidst all the other grains and seeds included. Once again, I experienced the chemical phenomenon of my sunflower seeds (raw/unsalted) turning bright green inside the bread when baked!!!!  Apparently (according to internet research) this is a pH effect due to the presence of lots of baking soda. I suppose that's entirely reasonable in an irish soda bread recipe!

Six-Seed Soda Bread

  • 3 tablespoons EACH sunflower seeds, toasted pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, crushed walnuts
  • 2 Tbs chia seeds
  • 1 3/4 cup spelt flour
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp fine grain sea salt
  • 1 3/4 cup buttermilk (kefir milk with a bit of vinegar tossed in)
    a bit of extra buttermilk/milk
  • optional: 1 tsp fennel seeds
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Combine all the seeds/nuts and set aside.
3. Sift the flours, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Stir in all but 1 Tbs of the seed mixture.
4. Add the buttermilk and stir until the dough just comes together.
5. Knead the dough gently for about a minute on a lightly floured surface and pat into a round shape.
6. Place the dough on a baking sheet and cut a deep cross in the loaf, about 2/3 of the way deep. Brush with buttermilk and sprinkle with the remaining seeds.
7. Bake for 35 - 40 minutes, or until the bread is golden crusted on top and bottom. Cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment