Saturday, December 10, 2011

Carrot Rosemary Parmesan Scones

Ah holiday parties - all the perks of being at work and not having to actually work along with consuming 3-4 times your normal calorie and sugar intake in a day :)  December is full of sweets: hot cocoa, hot cider, egg nog, cookies, boxes of chocolate, candy canes etc. so I decided to rebel and bring a plateful of savory scones to my work party. I saw this recipe from Chocolate and Zucchini over 3 months ago and finally took the opportunity to try  it - perfect timing as I had a carrot and the exact amount of chickpea flour on hand. I think the recipe does require some adjustments depending on whether you grate your carrot finely or coarsely, if you use fresh or pre-grated parmesan, if you have to substitute a small amount of shortening in for the butter, and so on. But the dough seems mildly forgiving, even if you have to roll it out twice because you're really bad at estimating 3/4" thickness like me, which is more than I can say for other scone recipes I've baked with! They are quite beautiful with the rosemary needles and orange carrot color, and people apparently enjoyed the bite-sized cuteness of the squares. I however am all for making less, but larger scones next time around!

I am going to be lazy and NOT include the recipe here. Just go to the link. The adjustments I made were as follows:
3/4 c. pregrated parmesan
1 2/3 c. finely grated carrot
Evaporated milk instead of cream (I did end up having to add a bit more than 7 Tbs)
I didn't have the full amount of butter so I subbed in 2 Tbs worth of shortening.
Reduce salt to 1/4-1/2 tsp. IF using SALTED butter!

Enjoy the scones!

No comments:

Post a Comment